With Covid numbers in BC increasing, our firm resumed working remotely in November. We write to provide an update on how our lawyers and staff continue to serve clients during this unprecedented time. Law firms in BC have been designated as an essential service, and we expect to remain open for the duration of this pandemic.
- We continue to have most staff working remotely, with a few people in the office each day to process mail and documents
- Some lawyers are still available for client meetings (with appropriate precautions) for wills, real estate closing, and other matters that require documents to be signed in person. We can attend at your house or care facility as necessary. These documents can also be signed via videoconference
- Most client meetings are now being held via videoconference, and we can schedule these at your convenience.
- While courts are operational, expect delays. Limitation periods have been suspended.
- Probate applications are still being processed by court registries. We can expedite an application if there is an element of urgency (e.g. pending sale of real estate)
- While CRA Charities Directorate is operational, we have experienced delays with charity applications and other files.
- CRA’s introduction of online services for charities (CHAMP) last fall has proven to be invaluable during this time, and we continue to encourage charity clients to make use of this new functionality.
- Our employment lawyers are available to provide advice on wage subsidies, layoffs and access to the many new government benefit programs. We provide complimentary initial meetings for clients regarding employment issues.
- Our charities and corporate lawyers have assisted a wide range of clients with issues related to holding member meetings via videoconference, postponing elections, making decisions via consent resolutions, online voting, etc. as well as the regular financings and corporate matters.
- We have completed a substantial number of estate planning files for clients in the last eight months, so clients can be confident that their wills, powers of attorney and health care representation agreements are in order. We provide complimentary reviews of existing estate planning documents.
- Our website provides regular updates on new government benefits and programs and legislative changes related to leases, tenancies, filing deadlines, etc.
Please contact our office at 604-953-1500 if we can be of assistance during this time.